1.07.2008

let it rain

*I never liked the rain until I walked through it with you…*

The other day I was driving to work and I was hearing the country music station [yess I love country music haha] and this song came on the radio. The guy was singing to a girl saying “I never liked the rain until I walked through it with you..” – you know when you have those moments where things just click?? You have those “uh huh” moments?? Yeah, well I had one of those… and I thought about God. I thought about how before I fell in love with Him I never really liked to be bothered by problems [I guess I still don’t but hear me out..]. when things didn’t go the way I wanted i saw it not as an ‘obstacle’ but more like a hole in the ground where I would swim around in my own little pool of misery until I decided to get over it. But then I fell in love… and now the rain doesn’t seem so bad…. Cause im walking it with God…
I was reading the story of Joseph the other night [I decided I actually wanted to read it instead of assume I knew about him since I’ve heard of him and his colorful coat since I was in Sunday school]. Well, besides the fact that this guy should have had his own reality show on ABC or something… he was someone that danced in the rain with God. His brothers had betrayed him and sold him to slavery while they were out in the fields looking for food… so after a while of things getting good and then things getting bad again until they finally got really good for him, he was put in a position of royalty in the kingdom. one day God had shown him that there was going to be 7 years of prosperity in the land and then 7 years of famine [no food]… so joseph decided that they should save up during the 7 years they had stuff so when the 7 years of famine came they wouldn’t be empty handed. During those 7 years of famine people came from all over to buy food from joseph since he had… and one day it was his brothers who came. They came to look and buy food from him. When joseph revealed himself to them they started to cry and ask for forgiveness for selling him and all that [this is just a summary since I know if I type up the whole story no one would read it… lol] and Joseph told them not to ask for forgiveness if it was God who allowed that to happen so he can be in a position to provide food for them when there was lack. *I never liked the rain until I walked through it with you* .. joseph saw his betrayal as an opportunity from God to give to the ones who left him in the first place. That’s love. That’s how I want to be. That’s how we should be. His brothers were LOOKING for food when they betrayed him [they thought they didn’t need him]; and when they didn’t have Joseph turns around and GIVES food to them. There are times when theres people in our lives that are looking for love… and in their moments of searching they hurt the ones they think they don’t need… like you, like me. The reason they are looking is because they don’t have… and they often betray us because they cannot love us back… but just like Joseph we need to see their betrayal as an opportunity to give them back the love they have been looking for all along. A lot like Jesus… Judas betrayed him trying to save himself and Jesus turns around and dies to save him and us… who have done pretty much the same thing. I hope this makes sense… and I hope we learn to dance in the rain with God.

2 comments:

Mario Torres said...

Wow,I marvel to see Ephesians 1:17 manifested! Melissa, I bless the Lord for the spirit of wisdom and revelation in your life! This kind of writing edifies greatly, because upon this rock...the revealed Word of God...Jesus will build His church!!!

Anonymous said...

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Wow Mel, beautiful word. I just kept having an image of a rose after the rain, in my mind.
Have you ever seen a rose in the middle of a rain shower? It can look somewhat sad. It's delicate petals being pounded by the pouring rain. Water droplets dropping with force upon them making them lean and sway. The rose must remain strong during the rain, because at the end of the storm, it is the very water that once almost caused its death that brings it to life as it nourishes the soil. It gets down into its roots and strengthens the leaves and petals. There is also nothing more beautiful than a rose after the shower-sprinkled with gleaming water dew. I think that we are a lot like a rose...praise God for the rain!