5.15.2008

give me bread..

“Why do you look for the living among the dead?” Luke 24:5

We are all looking. The Bible says all creation groans in eager expectation for the revealing of the sons of God. Why the sons of God? Simple…because we look like our Father. So we’re looking… each and every one of us are looking and searching. Remember how Adam got kicked out of the Garden of Eden?? You and me… we want to go back in. Back into the place of completion, where there were no questions as to where we were going next and what we should do with our lives because we walked with God, where we were surrounded by life because nothing had died until Adam killed to conceal his sin, where the sweet smell of the breath of God lingered in the air. We want to go back in… we want God again….so we are looking for a way.
But why do we look for the living among the dead? Why do we look for the living God among the dead world? Why do we look for God in “old tombs” of relationships, ambitions, money, and compromise? He is not there. And being someone who has looked frantically like a deer pants for water… I’ve tried to find Him. I’ve tried to find the acceptance of God inside people, I’ve tried to find the will of God inside “safe small steps” instead of leaps of faith, and I’ve tried to find the richness of God inside ambitions of this world. I’ve tried all that with no luck… but today during lunch at work, I think I found Him. I found him and he wasn’t inside church [not saying church is bad… just go with me here]. I found Him and he wasn’t inside a theologian or scholar. I found Him and surprisingly enough it wasn’t inside Jason Upton…[haha]. I found Him in bread.
In Luke 24, after Jesus had died and resurrected, he appeared to 2 men walking down the road to a city named Emmaus. They were talking about Jesus, trying to understand the crucifixion when out of a sudden Jesus came up and started walking with them. They didn’t recognize that it was Him, so they started talking TO Jesus, ABOUT Jesus. When they finally got to where they were going, they invited Jesus to stay with them. The Bible then says that Jesus took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them. “Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him” [Luke 24:31]. He took bread and broke it, THEN their eyes were opened and they recognized Him. What is bread? The word of God (John 6:51,John 1:1). Once the bread AKA the Word was torn open, they were able to recognize Jesus.
We have been looking for the living among the dead… when all we need to do is tear open the word of God to be able to recognize who He is in our lives.
I’m still learning and trying, but my soul longs yes even faints [IM STARVING] for the courts of the Lord, my heart and flesh cry out for the living God [Psalm 84]. Give me bread…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to live inside the bakery named JESUS!!! lol

Anonymous said...

amen!