5.09.2008

undiscovered

“Community cannot for long feed on itself; it can only flourish with the coming of others from beyond, their unknown and undiscovered brothers.”
-Howard Thurman

i think i can drive in my neighborhood blindfolded. but there are so many roads out there, and it would be foolish of me think that driving in my neighborhood is the only place i should drive. in the same way, we should be continually opening our arms to new people. they aren't actually new people, they're just new to you and i. they have some years on them. they've laughed, and cried. been loved, been broken. they've been alone in their room, just like you and i, staring at their roof. they have the other part of the song. i must confess that there have been times when i have built up walls around my friends, and you needed like a special pass to hang with us. but i think God's calling us to lay down our arms to the "unknown and undiscovered brothers.” this year i tried it out, and i made some amazing friends. i hope this summer will be a season of beautiful community.

this word community has messed me up by the way. Jesus was the ultimate friend. he laid down His life for His friends. he showed us what true friendship was.

and... God has been speaking to me alot lately. Yay! actually it is really exciting although it cuts me to the heart. every time i have had food or money in my hand this past week [money- very few times]; he has whispered in my heart to share with someone. i have failed miserably proving to me that i am very selfish. so i'm working on "giving my coat away" even if it leaves me cold.

make a new friend

No comments: