12.26.2007

The longing for a best friend

Written by Jennifer Giner

The Longing For A Best Friend

All my life I have longed to be called someone's Best Friend and have never realized the extreme that I would go to in order to hear someone say those words in return. I remember in High School I would do my friends homework just so she wouldn't get mad at me and just to be the best friend I could be, yet I was never good enough. Even now at age 26 I deal with this very thing. I have thought I have been the best friend I can be to people, I will go the extra mile, I will give when I don’t have and will sacrifice time with my husband to be that friend, I will listen when no one else is there and love uncontionally even when I know things were said about me that affect my character. And yes, sometimes I would hear it in return but then with technology the way it is, you have things like My Space and Facebook that show you who is in your top 10 and then you have tags on pictures that say it all, and then all you are left with is just empty words and a feeling of your not good enough, and you didn’t give enough. This may not affect many people but for the people that struggle with insecurity and disappointment and that longing for a Best Friend someone that not only says it but posts it everywhere, I have hope to give you. There is someone out there who thinks of you higher then anyone else. His name is Jesus!!! This week I have thought about this allot and it just blew me away on how caught up I was in being someone's best friend yet God longs for someone he can just call FRIEND. Our cares should not be placed on man but on God. There is an enemy out there and he is out to destroy your mind by your thoughts. Joyce Meyer is one of my favorite inspirational leaders, she writes allot about the Battlefield of the Mind. Allot of areas that she has gone through I can relate especially her frame of thinking. Joyce said for years she spoke whatever came to her mind and that got her in allot of trouble. I know that for me anytime I felt insecure or the enemy would attack my thoughts I would just say it and it pushed so many people away. We have to all come to a place in our life that we recognize where a thought is coming from and say "No this thought is a lie and from the enemy, but I know that the joy of the Lord is my strength and I don’t need to be at work and at church depressed, Instead I will think about God's word and the good plans he has for my life."

The devil puts thoughts in our minds and if we don’t know God's truth and how he really sees us then we will believe whatever the enemy tells us. This is the battle and we can learn to win the battle by learning how to fight it and let me tell you that the fighting part is not the way we think. We have to remember that our emotions will follow our thinking!!!! You will not win this battle overnight, it will take time. Always know that you are of worth and that if you don’t have people that call you Best Friend you have someone that calls your Friend and that is more priceless than empty words and broken promises. A good friend told me one time that I was not called to fit in because if I fit in I would not be able to fufill what God has purposed me here for. So know you are loved and when you are under attack and the enemy is at full force against you, attack him with the TRUTH from God's Word. And the best part is WE HAVE THE VICTORY EACH TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenn, you are so right and I totally agree with you. Man will always fail you in some way, but Jesus never will. I love you friend, with or without a title on our frienship! =)

Anonymous said...

Jenn, with writings like this, Joyce Meyer has competition! You are absolutely right; Jesus is the friend that sticks closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24 (RSV) reads; “There are friends who pretend to be friends, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” That’s the key; a real friend will sacrifice for the other and stick to him no matter what! Remember Jonathan’s well documented friendship with David, even in the light of his father’s hatred toward David? After Saul offers his armor to David which did not fit him in 1Samuel 17:39, his “soul brother” Jonathan stripped himself of his robe, garments, sword, bow and down to his girdle in the next chapter (1 Samuel 18:1-4)…and this stuff fit to a tee! In simpler terms, real friends are like Velcro, the hook part won’t work without the loop part! Jesus is that friend who sticks closer than a brother and sticky like Velcro He won’t let go!!

Jackie said...

Jenn, great message love it! I believe that friendship is one of the most precious gifts God has given us, but we choose who we will allow in our life and who we will push away, we also choose how great and pure our friendships can be with one another. One thing is certain; there is no greater friend than Jesus! I believe what separates a great individual from a regular person is those who have learned to fight the battle of the mind and learned that our mind is a weapon that can either be used for us or against us. Is that simple, we make the decision to either live a defeated life or a life of victory by the way we think. Dwelling on one thought, whether negative or positive, will make you believe it and eventually lead to an action that can either destroy your self-worth or build you up as an individual!

Anonymous said...

WOW!

Anonymous said...

Jenn, this is awsome. Thanks for posting it up. =)

Michelle said...

i love this bro