2.04.2008

hope

Hope unsatisfied

This hope that I have to be “complete” inside seems to be completely failing me. I mean, I just came from a weekend of prayer and service and yet here I am in my room, alone, feeling completely empty and weak. I read romans 8 and can’t help but get frustrated at the fact that I am in bondage to the earth and the futility and vanity that it brings. It womps. I’m in a tunnel of earthly darkness and I see the light at the end of it, but I can’t get to the light. Yes, I have this hope that I will one day get to that light that will ultimately fulfill me, but for now, I’m subject to suffering, trying to persevere, continuing to hope. Am I the only one that’s frustrated over this? I am a spirit being trapped in this fleshly suit, completely subjected to the limitations of this earth…and the daily wrestling between me and flesh go on.


The thing about hope is that it’s hope if the thing that is hoped for is unseen. For example, if a girl tells me that she likes me, but that she must wait a year before going out with me, I must go through that year in perseverance having the hope that in that appointed time, we will be together. Now, throughout the year, there will be times where I would sense that she lost those feelings toward me and I will lose all hope and feel completely unsatisfied and discontent. But one look from her and one “flirt” can change it all. Hope is restored. And when hope is restored, perseverance is restored, and now I can wait the year content and satisfied knowing that the girl will be “my girl”. [ note from Solomon the wise: not even the most beautiful of girls can satisfy, so never put your hope in a person to fulfill you]


It’s the same thing with God and eternity, there will be times [ like what I’m feeling right now ], when we will feel very empty and unsatisfied. There will be times when hope is forgotten and life seems like a “vanity of vanities”. But like that special girl, God knows how to flirt. He knows how to restore hope. How so? C.S Lewis said, “God whispers to us in our pleasures” and I think that that’s exactly how God “flirts” with humanity. Its the daily pleasures of eternity wrapped up in time that keeps us going [ prayer, reading, community, marriage, children, etc ]. God won’t completely satisfy us while we remain in this flesh, but He gives us those “eternity in time” moments where we get the sense that WE CAN be satisfied by Something.

And only by that Thing.

so if you're feeling what was feeling like before i wrote this blog, i hope that i can encourage you to persevere, for " i consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us"- Paul, the "least of the saints".

keep hope alive.

[ note to all girls...KEEP HOPE ALIVE!]

“just keep swimming”- Dory, “Finding Nemo”

Jesus is coming.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Romans 5:5
Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Anonymous said...

I've been feeling the same way, living in the temporary frustration of knowing that you are on a tunnel of earthly darkness and seeing the Light at the end of it but not being able to finally reach it. The good thing is that we know for a fact that he light is there, that we are not alone and that we need to be persuaded by God's "flirting moves".
By the way, thats a good quote from Dori! hahah! hilarious!

Michelle said...

i was in that same hole not tooo long ago and all i can tell u is dont give up its sooooo worth it in the end! I know its hard but God never said it would be easy :) trust me, no.. trust God, all this will be worth it :)
i love this blog

Anonymous said...

You know i dont understant this????? I dont get i t?? why are you asking the women to show you men signs?? wOULDNT THIS BE A DISTRACTION?? A distraction to the girl and the guy? So would you sugest that we let you guys know that we like you?? But dont you think that sometimes the person you like mught not be from God? Do you focus on your emotions or on God?????Oh and i dont think that it all has to dpend on a year? the "vow" it all depends on Gods timing. Whenever we are ready for that Blessed women of god or Husband that is when God will give it to you? Dont you think it will take you longer to have your wife if your so busy in getting signs from a girl who you have emotions for but yet might not even know if its from God???? Really think about it.. Concecrate yourself for your wife.. if you need to seperate yourself from this so called girl then do it! just dont block God's voice oveer emotion...
Have a blessed day!!
remember to set a higher standard....

Anonymous said...

To whoever wrote the comment above...

Matthew 7:1
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged."

Be careful in assuming you know more than you do.

I love this blog.

Anonymous said...

"Faith is the substance of things HOPED for, the evidence of things not yet seen." -I don't think that it would be such great faith without hope.

Anonymous said...

Its not judging im just asking?

Anonymous said...

To all-

my example of the waiting for a girl was JUST AN EXAMPLE that illustrates perfectly the feeling of hope and how waiting on Jesus can sometimes be hard but what God does through prayer, friendship,marriage,etc is that he brings us "firstfruits" or what i called "flirting" and keeps us excited and hopeful of His return.

Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for the comments and honesty.

Also, i do not see infatuation with one of the opposite sex as a distraction as long as that person does not lead you away from Christ. God is a lover, and He loves it when His children feel the way we do when we like each other. He teaches and HAS BEEN teaching me [us] alot about desire, patience, commitment, and a whole lot more through the process of liking someone.

What we have done so much in the church is make liking someone a crime! Religious people get cranky and start using the words like distraction to make it all boring. But really, the process is a really fun one. And i'm having fun. Again, i enjoy your comments and love the fact that we care alot for each other.

-Noel

Anonymous said...

Thank you noel for clearing it out becuase ummm some people were getting fiesty about this blog... lol
how funny!!!! Whatever God Bless
In class!!! watching a weird as heck movie....
=]

ScOoBy -DoO! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

Wow i never knew a guy would actually ask us to "keep hope alive" very bold of of you.... I also never knew that in a blogg people actually get into arguments. How funny because it was all against the anonymous people..... Very intresting if you think about it... Imean your arguing with a person whom you dont even know... How interseting and stupid dont ya think..
=}
Heather