2.20.2008

The Naming of Cats

The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.
First of all, there's the name that the family use daily,
Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo or James,
Such as Victor or Jonathan, or George or Bill Bailey -
All of them sensible everyday names.
There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter,
Some for the gentlemen, some for the dames:
Such as Plato, Admetus, Electra, Demeter -
But all of them sensible everyday names.
But I tell you, a cat needs a name that's particular,
A name that's peculiar, and more dignified,
Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular,
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?
Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum,
Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo, or Coricopat,
Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum -
Names that never belong to more than one cat.
But above and beyond there's still one name left over,
And that is the name that you never will guess;
The name that no human research can discover -
But THE CAT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.
When you notice a cat in profound meditation,
The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:
His ineffable effable
Effanineffable Deep
and inscrutable singular Name.

this poem is one illustrating the deep search that each of us must make seeking out the name inscribed on our hearts. this is the journey that i am on, knowing that there is an attractive peculiarity in me [somewhere somewhere] . and so i spend my nights in silence contemplating whether or not "my name" will offend the world. but God whispers to me that "my name" will bring light to the world, and its my vocation seek out the name on my heart, for in my name is my assignment, and its a peculiar one, one that will eventually shed light to the world. enter with me on this journey, to sit in silence seeking the One who wrote our name on our hearts. and its a name that only he knows. eternity will reveal our name to us, and finally we will see who we really are, and the beauty of peculiarity in us. and we will see that for the majority of our lifetime, we went by a common name, doing common things, far from the calling...but keep in mind this thing, that peter once told me thing:"i found my name in His name". So seek Him, and you will eventually be revealed. and thats what creation eagerly groans for: for your revelation.
[Selah]

With you on this journey of heartache, love, patience, and discovery...
-noel

7 comments:

Melissa Lopez said...

wow... amen.
Isaiah 49:15-17

15 “ Can a woman forget her nursing child,
And not have compassion on the son of her womb?
Surely they may forget,
Yet I will not forget you.
***16 See, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands;***
Your walls are continually before Me.

Anonymous said...

I live when you write like this. When you metioned the cats? the hatter it reminded me about Alice in wonderland?! Yes i know crazy1 I dont know if have ever seen it before but if you have the catapillar mentions to alice- WHO ARE YOU?? but if you notice this wonderland was reallly her... every little thing that she dreamed was her and a pice of her. So just by looking and hearing the catapillar she was practically asking herself everyday WHO AM I! and the name that God has given you is something that will impact the world. As i say Just let go and let God and he will take control of your life completly.I know random alice in wonder land but um it just reminded me of that and got me thinking....

Anonymous said...

frikin amazing.. that's why you are my brother in laww!!

good work.

Anonymous said...

OMG IF ... readds this I'm dead.

Yessenia said...

words of wisdom:What do you call cheese thats not urs?!

nacho cheese!!
God is love. Rev Run.

Anonymous said...

Did youo write this????

Melissa Lopez said...

Revelation 19:12
His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself.